1. Review the rules of origin and adapt regional content requirements to each sector of activity.
2. Modernize procedures for the rules of origin.
3. Ensure reciprocity of government procurement in NAFTA by integrating a permanent exemption to “Buy America” for Canada.
4. Expand the scope of government procurement by including provinces, states, cities and government corporations.
5. Increase intellectual property protections.
6. Maintain protection for direct foreign investment and strengthen dispute resolution mechanisms.
7. Maintain the cultural exception to protect the production and availability of local content.
8. Reduce barriers to the circulation of electronic goods and services.
9. Adopt an effective method for collecting sales tax on electronic transactions in Canada.
10. Facilitate the mobility of business people and temporary workers within North America.
11. Make the softwood lumber industry part of NAFTA.