The Business in Tandem initiative at a glance
The Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Montreal is partnering with the Ville de Montréal to present "Business in Tandem," an initiative aimed at promoting inter-city trade through online conferences and B2B meetings with experts and companies operating in targeted markets.
Why participate in the Business in Tandem initiative between Tel Aviv and Montréal?
Join us on May 26 for a 90-minute virtual event featuring deep tech experts from Tel Aviv and Montréal. During the webinar, experts will present business opportunities in the deep tech sector in their respective cities to companies from the other city. They will focus on start-ups in the scale-up phase in the deep tech sector, and on the importance of forming strategic alliances in the current context.
Event length: 90 minutes-program followed by 30 minutes optional networkingZoom Platform to be provided by the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Montreal
Host: Alexandra Maier, Senior Director of Communications, Bonjour Startup Montréal
9:00 am (Montréal)/4:00 pm (Tel Aviv) – Opening and welcome remarks by representatives from the cities of Montréal and Tel Aviv (5 minutes)
- Véronique Doucet, Director, Service du développement économique, Ville de Montréal
- Sharon Landes-Fischer, CEO, Tel Aviv Global
9:05 am (Montréal)/4:05 pm (Tel Aviv) – Overview of the deep tech industry in Montréal (20 minutes)
- Alan Balki, Director, Foreign Investments – Northern Europe, Montréal International
- Richard Chénier, CEO, Centech
9:25 am (Montréal)/4:25 pm (Tel Aviv) – Overview of the deep tech industry in Tel Aviv (20 minutes)
- Michal Michaeli, International Economic Development Director, Tel Aviv Global & Tourism
- Inbal Arieli, Author, Serial Entrepreneur and Tech Influencer, Founder Synthesis
9:45 am (Montréal)/4:45 pm (Tel Aviv) – Overview of the business culture in both cities
- Anat Katz, Minister, Trade Affairs, U.S. and Canada, Consulate General of Israel in New York
10:00 am (Montréal)/5:00 pm (Tel Aviv) – Panel of companies doing business in Montréal and in Israel (20 minutes)
Host: Professor Dafna Kariv, Head of the Dual Program Entrepreneurship-Business Administration, Adelson School of Entrepreneurship
- Interdisciplinary Center (IDC) Herzliya
- Hilary Orly Harel,CEO and Co-founder, Serenus.AI
- Nir Agiv, head of TD Innovation Center, Ltd. in Tel Aviv
- Dr. Abdo Shabah, Founder, Humanitas
10:20 am (Montréal)/5:20 pm (Tel Aviv) – Q&A Period
10:28 am (Montréal)/5:28 pm (Tel Aviv) – Closing remarks
- Paul Hirschson,, Consul General of Israel for Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces
10:30 am (Montréal)/5:30 pm (Tel Aviv) – Networking session (optional)
11:00 am (Montréal)/6:00 pm (Tel Aviv) – End of networking session and the event
Montréal, a global hub for deep tech companies :
- Since 2018, over US$3 billion in venture capital investments in Montréal;
- 6 of the 8 most active venture capital firms in Canada in 2019 are based in Montréal;
- A strong presence of tech accelerators and incubators to support deep tech companies;
- In AI, over 600 independent researchers, 19,000 industry workers, over 14,000 students enrolled in AI-related programs;
- Over 179,000 IT professionals and over 5,000 companies in Greater Montréal;
- 11 university institutions;
- More than $1 billion in annual funding dedicated to university research;
- World-class university research chairs and labs focused on AI, innovative manufacturing, medical technologies, and electric and smart transportation;
- Scientific centres of excellence and state-of-the-art infrastructure;
- Tax credits for investment and R&D;
- Major public incentives for the development of cutting-edge technologies (5G, IoT, robotics, additive manufacturing, medical technologies);
- Lowest operating costs in North America for software development;
- Some of the world leaders developing their AI expertise in Montréal (e.g. Google, Samsung, Facebook Research, Microsoft, Thales, Novartis).
Tel Aviv - deep tech ecosystem:
- Tel Aviv ranked #6 ecosystem in the world (startup genome 2020)
- Evolving from a startup city into a deep tech capital, with AI, Fintech, Big data and Saas increasing their leadership in this year's number of companies, fund raising and exits.
- The local tech ecosystem demonstrated increasing levels of maturity with 14 new unicorns, a greater impact of scale ups, and a growing number of local and foreign investors
- AI companies alone raised over $US 3 Billion in 2020, with an average investment round of $US 20 million.
- IOT startups had 3 major exits, averaging at $US 1 Billion each.
- Tel Aviv is known for its sought after talent and over 130 accelerators and incubators.
B2B Optional Meetings
To maximize opportunities, we will hold virtual B2B business meetings with potential clients and partners from Tel Aviv, the guest city on another day. Space will be limited to 10 companies (two meetings per SME).
You must first register online, enter your personal information and complete the payment.
You will be contacted by Ms. Alexia Barbier (firstname.lastname@example.org) with more information on the two B2B meetings.
Your registration will then need to be approved by our team to ensure your profile meets the needs of the guest city's companies.*
*In the event that the two B2B meetings cannot take place, we will issue a refund.
Once both B2B meetings have been approved, you will receive official confirmation of the date and time of your assigned meeting**.
- Note that B2B meetings will take place outside of the May 26, 2021 event.
- This service is intended for individual meetings with companies.
This initiative is an opportunity to:
- Understand the business environments in both Tel Aviv and Montréal;
- Discover short- and medium-term business opportunities in the deep tech sector in both cities;
- Understand how to emerge from the crisis through cooperation and partnerships, and the importance of forming strategic alliances to pursue your business internationally;
- Benefit from the advice of experts and companies active in Tel Aviv and Montréal.
Who is this event for?
- Montréal and Québec companies exporting in the technology field
- Tel Aviv and Israeli companies exporting in the technology field
With the PairConnex platform, we are pleased to offer a virtual networking service that will allow you to remotely connect and network with business people like yourself at any time.
This innovative platform gives you access to smart matchmaking and videoconferencing. You'll enjoy the opportunity to speak privately or in a group with other professionals who, like you, can't wait to get down to business and help each other by sharing challenges and working together to achieve their professional objectives.
When you join the event, you'll receive an email to create your PairConnex profile by filling out a form to optimize your networking.