Join us in person!
Meals included (breakfast and lunch).
Experience this truly live event and meet the speakers.
Come with your colleagues or business associates and take advantage of various networking opportunities.
Exclusive content in person.
Why take this training session on U.S. Customs?
During this training session, you will have the opportunity to hear from agents from the US Customs and Border Protection agency (USCBP), as well as American industry import specialists, such as customs brokers and experts in immigration and U.S. law from the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh.
You'll also get crucial tips to ensure your goods get through U.S. customs successfully. Our CCMM Acclr experts will guide you and manage the logistical aspects of your session with the U.S. Customs agents and the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh, where you can get answers to all your questions.
Through our partnership with the North Country Chamber of Commerce, you will learn from their experts about many aspects of doing business in the United States.
What will you learn during this training session?
Following this training session, you will:
- Understand and demystify how U.S. Customs works;
- Find concrete solutions to the challenges of shipping your goods across the border and cross-border personnel travel;
- Create valuable contacts with industry import specialists, such as customs brokers and experts in immigration, U.S. law and finance from the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh;
- Learn from experts from U.S. Customs and Border Protection;
- Get the latest information about security programs in place at the border (NEXUS, FAST, C-TPAT, etc.).
Who is this training session for?
- Entrepreneurs and business leaders;
- Business development and export managers;
- Logistics and shipping specialists;
- Exporters, carriers and drivers;
- Anyone interested in keeping abreast of changes at the border and getting a clearer picture of border and export procedures.
Meeting with the North Country Chamber of Commerce experts
Federal and state laws governing Canadian companies entering the U.S. market:
- Authorization to do business in the United States;
- Corporations – Incorporation status, choice of entity;
- Contracts with clients;
- Protection of intellectual property;
Federal and state tax considerations for doing business in the United States:
- State taxes;
- U.S. federal taxes;
- Repatriation of profits (from a U.S. company) to Canada;
- Planning considerations.
Shipping your goods across the border effectively and efficiently:
- Requirements of Participating Government Agencies (PGA);
- Information required on a U.S. Customs Invoice;
- Determining dutiable value and classification of merchandise;
- Priority trade issues: What Customs and Border Protection is focusing on.
- Types of work visas;
- How to know when you need a work visa;
- Company structure and visas, what you should know;
- Trade shows and conferences;
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)'s definition of work.
Meeting with U.S. Customs officials
- Overview of border procedures;
- Customs entry;
- Work autorization procedures;
- Importing goods into the United States;
- The role of CBP Agriculture Specialists.
Q&A and Networking
"Very informative day. Excellent networking contacts in Plattsburgh. Very good format for afternoon case study session."
"This day was rich in information and allowed me to better understand the steps necessary to launch activities with the United States."