Why take this training session on U.S. Customs?
Take part in this 3-day virtual training session (October 26-27-28).
Over the first two days (October 26 and 27), you will have the opportunity to virtually meet with agents from the US Customs and Border Protection agency (USCBP), as well as American industry import specialists, such as customs brokers and experts in immigration and U.S. law from the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh.
On the last day (October 28), you will be invited to join a bonus training session on United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) that will be co-hosted by the Consulate General of Canada in New York, in collaboration with the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh and the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Montreal.
Over these three days, you'll get crucial tips to ensure your goods get through U.S. customs successfully. Our CCMM Acclr experts will guide you and manage the logistical aspects of your virtual tour of the U.S. Customs office and your meeting with the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh, where you can get answers to all your questions.
What will you learn during this training session?
Following this training session, participants will:
- Understand and demystify how U.S. Customs works;
- Find concrete solutions to the challenges of shipping their goods across the border and cross-border personnel travel;
- Create valuable contacts with industry import specialists, such as customs brokers and experts in immigration, U.S. law and finance at the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh;
- Meet with experts from U.S. Customs and Border Protection;
- Get the latest information about security programs in place at the border (NEXUS, FAST, C-TPAT, etc.);
- Learn about the latest requirements regarding COVID-19.
Who is this training session for?
- Entrepreneurs and business leaders;
- Business development and export managers;
- Logistics and shipping specialists;
- Exporters, carriers and drivers;
- Anyone interested in keeping abreast of changes at the border and getting a clearer picture of border and export procedures.
3-day virtual activity schedule
- Overview of border procedures;
- Customs entry;
- Work visas;
- Importing goods into the United States;
- The role of CBP Agriculture Specialists.
Stephan T. Fischl
Assistant Port Director
Champlain Port of Entry
Customs Border Protection
U.S. Customs Agents Team
Federal and state laws governing Canadian companies entering the U.S. market:
- Authorization to do business in the United States – Branch of a foreign entity;
- Corporations – Incorporation status, choice of entity;
- Contracts with clients;
- Protection of intellectual property;
Federal and state tax considerations for doing business in the United States:
- State taxes;
- U.S. federal taxes;
- Repatriation of profits (from a U.S. company) to Canada;
- Planning considerations.
- Types of work visas;
- How to know when you need a work visa;
- Company structure and visas, what you should know;
- Trade shows and conferences;
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)'s definition of work.
President and CEO
North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh
James L. Holmes CPA
Hoffman Eells Group
Brendan P. Owens
Thomas P. Robinson
President and Owner
Crossborder Development Corporation
USMCA/CUSMA - Key Updates & Insights for 2021 - Plus an Introduction to CARM:
As a bonus, you will automatically be registered for a free session on USMCA/CUSMA (United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement) plus CARM co-hosted by the Consulate General of Canada in New York, in collaboration with theNorth Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh and the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Montreal.
- USMCA/CUSMA has been in effect for a year. What have we learned?;
- Rules of origin;
- Industry-specific changes;
- De Minimis rule change;
- Administrative changes.
- Implementation timeline;
- New client portal;
- Preparing for CARM;
- Changes to release-prior-to-payment requirements for bonds;
- Harmonized billing cycles.
"Very informative day. Excellent networking contacts in Plattsburgh. Very good format for afternoon case study session."
"This day was rich in information and allowed me to better understand the steps necessary to launch activities with the United States."
After you register, you will receive two confirmation emails. The first will confirm your purchase. The second will be sent a few days before the virtual activity. It will include the link for you to join the webinar on the day of the activity