Summary of the seminar
As one of the five countries covered by the Canadian International Innovation Program (CIIP), Brazil is one of Quebec’s biggest trading partners in Latin America. In 2017, the value of commercial trade in goods between Quebec and Brazil rose to 44.5% of trade in goods between Canada and Brazil. In recent years, Brazil’s trade and investment relationship with Canada has experienced sustained growth.
On May 24, 2019, take part in the seminar on business opportunities in Brazil to learn about the different facets of this country, such as the business culture, the legal and tax framework, and potential business sectors.
A unique opportunity to:
Evaluate the potential for developing your business in Brazil;
Network with other Quebec companies considering this market;
Get advice from experts and companies that are active in this area.
Brazil is the top economy in Latin America and the Caribbean, and is the eighth largest economy in the world. In 2017, commercial trade between Canada and Brazil rose to $6.4 billion.
Brazil adopted structural reforms to face the economic recession of 2014-2016 and recorded real GDP growth of 1.4% in 2018. Growth perspectives for 2020-2025 are estimated at 2.4%. The service sector represents 72.2% of the GDP.
A few interesting facts on imports and exports:
Products imported from Brazil to Quebec:
Products exported from Quebec to Brazil:
- Refined oil (8.1%)
- Vehicle parts (3.6%)
- Packaged medicaments (2,2 %)
- Integrated circuits (2,2 %)
- Cars (2,1 %)
- Products exported from Quebec to Brazil:
Newsprint sheets (23 %)
- Turbojets, turboprops and gas turbines (14,2 %)
- Airplanes, helicopters and other aircraft or spacecraft (7,8 %)
- Medicines (4,7 %)
- Airplane, helicopter and other aircraft parts (3,7 %)
Canada has participated in exploratory discussions with a view to signing a free trade agreement with the Mercosur countries (Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay).
Business opportunities for Quebec:
- In 2017, Canadian exports to Brazil rose to CAD 1.7 billion, and Canadian imports from Brazil exceeded CAD 4.7 billion;
- Canada’s trade and investment relationship with Brazil has seen sustained growth in recent years;
- Brazil is Quebec’s top South American trade partner and its tenth largest trade partner internationally.
Who should participate in this seminar?
Any company that wants to develop its business in Brazil or learn more about this market.
Companies in the following sectors are especially targeted:
- Artificial intelligence and ICT
- Financial technology
- Infrastructure and construction
- Oil and natural gas
- Clean technology
- Life sciences