Data collection period: April 3 to 7, 2020
* 51.6% of respondents had to lay people off, an increase of 18% compared with the March 18 survey.
* 97.6% of respondents indicated having learned of the wage subsidy program announced by the Government of Canada at the end of March. However, 45.2% of respondents indicated they are not able to show a revenue loss of 30% over the reference period of last year to be eligible, even though they are suffering negative effects of the crisis.
* Assuming activities can resume in mid-May:
- 18% of respondents believe that their business may survive, but fear having an unsustainable debt load if they use loan guarantees.
- 25.9% of respondents indicated that their business could survive if they can stagger loan repayments over more than one year.
* 45% of respondents encountered difficulties paying their fixed costs from the beginning of the crisis, and 56% foresee difficulties doing so for May 1.
Profile of respondents