Why take this training session on U.S. Customs?
Take part in this 4-day virtual training session (March 9, 11, 16 and 19).
Over the first 3 days (March 9, 11 and 16), training sessions will be delivered by U.S. Customs staff and experts from the Consulate General of Canada in Buffalo, New York, as part of International Trade Week 2021.
On the fourth day (March 19), you will have the opportunity to virtually meet with industry import specialists, such as customs brokers and experts in immigration and U.S. law from the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh.
Over these 4 days, you’ll get crucial tips to ensure your goods get through U.S. customs successfully. Our CCMM Acclr experts will guide you and manage the logistical aspects of your virtual tour of the U.S. Customs office and your meeting with the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh, where you can get answers to all your questions.
What will you learn during this training session?
Following this training session, participants will:
- Understand and demystify how U.S. Customs works.
- Find concrete solutions to the challenges of shipping their goods across the border and cross-border personnel travel.
- Create valuable contacts with industry import specialists, such as customs brokers and experts in immigration, U.S. law and finance at the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh.
- Meet with experts from U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the Food and Drug Administration.
- Get the latest information about security programs in place at the border (C-TPAT, NEXUS, etc.)
- Learn about the new requirements regarding COVID-19.
Who is this accelerated training session for?
- Entrepreneurs and business leaders
- Business development and export managers
- Logistics and shipping specialists
- Exporters, carriers and drivers
- Anyone interested in keeping abreast of changes at the border and getting a clearer picture of border and export procedures
Virtual activity schedule
- International Trade Week 2021 (March 9, 11 & 16)
- Meeting with the experts from the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh (March 19)
Getting COVID-related products across the US Border – What exporters need to know
- Hear directly from officials who manage this process
- US CBP Pharmaceutical Center of Excellence & Expertise
- US Food & Drug Administration
C-TPAT overview & updates – What’s changed?
- Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) – A key tool CBP uses to maintain a safe & secure supply chain for incoming goods
Can-Am Leadership Border Briefing – Our border relationship has never been more important, so what can we expect now and post-COVID?
Rose Brophy, Director of Buffalo Field Operations, oversees 17 Upstate NY crossings
Khawar Nasim, Acting Consul General Consulate General of Canada in NY
Immigration 101/Border-crossing updates from US & Canada
Cyril Joseph, Program Manager, Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada, Consulate General of Canada in NY
Cargo Crossing 101 – Best practices for getting cargo to the US
USMCA/CUSMA – Effective July 1, 2020 and called the “gold standard” of free trade agreements, what you need to know about procedural changes when shipping goods.
Federal and state laws governing Canadian companies entering the U.S. market:
- Authorization to do business in the United States – Branch of a foreign entity
- Corporations – Incorporation status, choice of entity
- Contracts with clients
- Protection of intellectual property
Federal and state tax considerations for doing business in the United States:
- State taxes
- U.S. federal taxes
- Repatriation of profits (from a U.S. company) to Canada
- Planning considerations
Shipping your goods across the border effectively and efficiently
- Requirements of Participating Government Agencies (PGA)
- Information required on a U.S. Customs Invoice
- Export fees
- Priority trade issues: What Customs and Border Protection is focusing on
President and CEO
North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh
Brendan P. Owens
James L. Holmes CPA
Hoffman Eells Group
Manager, Licensed Customs Broker
A. N. Deringer Inc.
"Very informative day. Excellent networking contacts in Plattsburgh. Very good format for afternoon case study session."
"This day was rich in information and allowed me to better understand the steps necessary to launch activities with the United States."
After you register, you will receive two confirmation emails. The first will confirm your purchase. The second will be sent a few days before the virtual activity. It will include the link for you to join the webinar on the day of the activity