Why take this training session on U.S. Customs?
Take part in this 2-day virtual training session (March 7 and 8).
Faced with a limited and increasingly competitive local market, it has become essential for companies to stand out and to look toward international markets. As the leading export destination for Québec, the United States continues to be a prime market for our SMEs wishing to operate globally.
When it comes to exporting to the United States, a number of issues can arise regarding the classification of goods, regulations around certain products, standards and labelling requirements. By law, as exporters, our companies are responsible for any errors following the clearance of their goods through customs, even if they use the services of a broker. Non-compliance of customs documents can result in significant monetary penalties.
Join us for this training session on two days, where you’ll learn everything you need to know to ensure your goods get through U.S. Customs successfully. Our guest experts will guide you and manage the logistical aspects of your virtual tour of the U.S. Customs office and the Plattsburgh-North Country Chamber of Commerce, where you can get answers to all your questions.
What will you learn during this training session?
Following this training session, participants will:
- Understand and demystify how U.S. Customs works;
- Find concrete solutions to the challenges of shipping their goods across the border and cross-border personnel travel;
- Create valuable contacts with industry import specialists, such as customs brokers and experts in immigration, U.S. law and finance at the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh;
- Meet with experts from U.S. Customs and Border Protection;
- Get the latest information about security programs in place at the border (NEXUS, FAST, C-TPAT, etc.);
- Learn about the new requirements regarding COVID-19.
Who is this training session for?
- Entrepreneurs and business leaders;
- Business development and export managers;
- Logistics and shipping specialists;
- Exporters, carriers and drivers;
- Anyone interested in keeping abreast of changes at the border and getting a clearer picture of border and export procedures.
2-day virtual activity schedule
The solutions offered for your transactions in the United States:
- U.S. bank account;
- Secured payment methods;
- Management of exchange rate risk;
- Assistance in finding partners.
Federal and state laws governing Canadian companies entering the U.S. market:
- Authorization to do business in the United States – Branch of a foreign entity;
- Corporations – Incorporation status, choice of entity;
- Contracts with clients;
- Protection of intellectual property;
Federal and state tax considerations for doing business in the United States:
- State taxes;
- U.S. federal taxes;
- Repatriation of profits (from a U.S. company) to Canada;
- Planning considerations.
Shipping your goods across the border effectively and efficiently:
- Requirements of Participating Government Agencies (PGA);
- Information required on a U.S. Customs Invoice;
- Export fees;
- Priority trade issues: What Customs and Border Protection is focusing on.
Vice President for Economic Development
Plattsburgh-North Country Chamber of Commerce
Senior Sales Executive
Northern Insuring Agency
James L. Holmes, CPA
Hoffman Eells Group
A.N. Deringer Inc.
Thomas P. Robinson
President and Owner
Crossborder Development Corporation
Matthew T. Boire
CDC Real Estate inc.
William L. Owens Esq.
Former U.S. Congressman
- Overview of border procedures;
- Customs entry;
- Work visas;
- Importing goods into the United States;
- Overview of FDA procedures.
Cargo Chief, Champlain Port of Entry
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
11:30 a.m. to noon – Optional Discussion Session with Custom Officer
"Very informative day. Excellent networking contacts in Plattsburgh. Very good format for afternoon case study session."
"This day was rich in information and allowed me to better understand the steps necessary to launch activities with the United States."
After you register, you will receive two confirmation emails. The first will confirm your purchase. The second will be sent a few days before the virtual activity. It will include the link for you to join the webinar on the day of the activity