The Chamber presented its brief titled Maintenir l’élan de la métropole to the Commission sur les finances et l’administration of the Ville de Montréal for the 2020 budget. During its presentation, the Chamber congratulated the municipal administration for holding this first pre-budget public consultation exercise.
This brief is being submitted as Montréal's economy is doing very well. It has the highest growth rate among major Canadian cities for the first time in several decades. The number of tourists, the level of international investment, passenger and flight arrivals at Montréal-Trudeau, and the volume of cargo transiting through the port are at an all-time high.
This brief outlines the Chamber's recommendations for improving the business environment through various budgetary measures and thus contributing to the expansion of the city's businesses. In this context, the Chamber believes that the next municipal budget must plan for resource allocation based on the following priorities:
- Managing debt rigorously and claiming new sources of revenue as part of a new fiscal pact.
- Implementing new measures to strengthen the city's competitiveness and its status as Quebec’s economic driving force.
- Relentlessly meeting the infrastructure and equipment needs.
- Ensuring fair and equitable tax burdens.
- Prioritizing environmental taxes for all economic actors.
See the complete list of recommendations here (in French only).
In order to achieve these objectives, the Chamber offers the Ville de Montréal its full support to maintain and strengthen the development of the city's business community for the benefit of all its residents. We firmly believe that Montréal’s economy will sustain its momentum.
Download PDF (in French only)