1. WHAT IS A MULTILATERAL DEVELOPMENT BANK?
Deputy Regional Director, North American Representative Office
Asian Development Bank
2. EXPLORE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES THE WITH ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK
Trade Commissioner and Second Secretary (Commercial), in charge of the Office of Liaison with the ADB at the Embassy of Canada in the Philippines
3. INTERACTIVE PANEL DISCUSSION
Christopher Barton (Part 1) (Part 2)
Inter-American Development Bank
4. BUSINESS TESTIMONIALS: DOING BUSINESS WITH MULTILATERAL DEVELOPMENT BANKS
Director, Business Development
THE ACTIVITY IN BRIEF
On September 22, the Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal and its team of international trade experts, the World Trade Centre Montréal—a member of the international PSLO (Private Sector Liaison Officers) network for the multilateral development banks—, invite you to a seminar followed by a luncheon and individual meetings with key stakeholders working with the multilateral development banks. Come assess the potential of these markets for your business.
A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO…
- Assess your business development potential in Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean within the framework of projects funded by the development banks
- Learn about business opportunities and upcoming major projects in these regions of the world
- Understand the buying and procurement process of these international financial institutions
- Network with other firms interested in development projects in these regions
- Understand the challenges and issues for Quebec companies on these markets
WHY TAKE AN INTEREST IN PROJECTS FUNDED BY THE ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK?
The multilateral development banks are challenged with reducing poverty and underdevelopment in certain regions by investing in projects in these areas. They share the common goal of fostering economic and social progress in emerging nations through their funding activities and their support of investment and the creation of capital.
These projects are a source of business opportunities for our companies, as their calls for tender are open to bids from suppliers of products and services the world over. Many Canadian companies have in fact already benefitted from the very transparent and supervised procurement system for development projects financed by the multilateral banks.
It is within this context that the Asian Development Bank (ADB) has—for over 45 years—supported the economic and social development of countries in the Asia-Pacific region. It provides them with technical assistance, and, above all, finances development projects that are implemented by governments and the private sector in beneficiary countries. Projects launched by the ADB in 2014 have reached a value of $22.93 billion USD in loans and grants. Canadian firms have won a total of $18.32 million USD in contracts for the year, placing Canada in 9th position among non-member countries participating in ADB projects. Since the creation of the ADB, the value of contracts won by Canadian companies is over $835 million USD.
As for the Inter-American Development Bank, it is the main source of multilateral development funding in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Currently undertaking a reform to develop its activities in the private sector and thereby ensure greater synergy with those relating to the public sector, the IDB approved $13.8 billion USD in new funding in 2014, $22.6 million USD of which went to Canadian companies for consulting services.
Lastly, the World Bank is the largest of these institutions. In 2014, its various projects and programs contributed a total of $40.8 billion USD. Last year, Canadian companies won contracts totalling $89 million USD.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This activity will be of particular interest to:
- International development consultants and advisors
- Universities, colleges, and other institutions of higher learning
- Engineering firms
Firms in the following sectors are specifically targeted:
- Clean energy
- Water: supply and sanitation
However, firms operating in other sectors are also welcome.
Learn about sustainable infrastructures from all around the world..
In partnership with: